Your privacy and sharing options vary depending on whether you recorded a StoryCorps App interview, StoryCorps Connect interview, or Signature StoryCorps Interview.
The vast majority of interviews on archive.storycorps.org are assigned one of three privacy settings that allow you to control the visibility of your interviews including:
- Public: This setting makes your interview, any photography, and related information visible to site visitors and eligible to appear in searches on the web.
- StoryCorps Community: This setting makes your interview, any photography, and related information visible to any archive.storycorps.org users when logged into their account, but not searchable on the web.
- Private: This setting makes your interview, any photography, and related information private to you, and not publicly accessible on archive.storycorps.org or the web.
To change the privacy settings of any interview that appears on your archive.storycorps.org profile, follow the step-by-step instructions in the Help Center article below.
If you did an onsite or virtual recording with a trained Storycorps staff person, you must first claim your Signature Interview in order to adjust your privacy settings. You can find more information on how to claim a Signature interview in the Help Center article below
Please note: The privacy settings you select for interviews on archive.storycorps.org only control the interview's visibility and accessibility in the Online Archive.
For Signature Interviews: If you signed a General Release Form when you recorded your interview, StoryCorps can still share your interview on platforms outside of the Online Archive, even if the privacy settings have been set to private. You can learn more about the difference between an interview release form and privacy settings in the Help Center article below.
Locked to Private Signature Interviews
If you did an onsite or virtual recording with a trained StoryCorps facilitator, then in most cases, once you claim your Signature interview on archive.storycorps.org, you can update your interview privacy settings whenever you want.
In some rare instances, StoryCorps reserves the right to lock the privacy settings of a Signature interview to private, which means your interview privacy settings cannot be changed. These interviews appear with a lock 🔒 icon and the text Interview Visibility is Locked in the Online Archive. If your interview is locked to private, then it is only accessible in one of two ways:
- If you have claimed the interview when logged into your archive.storycorps.org account; or
- If you have shared your interview using a secret link.