Joining a community allows you to share your interviews with a group. Once you’ve joined, you’ll not only be able to share your interviews, but also be able to access interviews of your fellow community members and utilize any custom question lists that have been made for that community.
Important note: Unless you have been given a community code, you can only join a community through archive.storycorps.org rather than the app. However, once you’ve joined, you’ll have access to the community through both the app and archive.storycorps.org.
Joining a community through archive.storycorps.org
First, you must have an account. If you haven’t yet signed up for an account, you can do so either through the app or on archive.storycorps.org. You can find instructions here. Once you’re logged in, follow these steps:
- Go to archive.storycorps.org and log in to your account (remember, the same login information you use for the app works on archive.storycorps.org).
- If you’ve been given the URL for the community, use it to go to the community’s page.
- If you haven’t been given the URL, click “Communities” in the blue menu at the top of the site.
- Search for the community by entering keywords. If you have difficulty finding the community, try using advanced search or refining your search with the criteria on the left.
- Click the “Visit” button beside the community. This will take you to the community’s page.
- On the community page, click “Join.”
- You did it! A gray box should appear below the community info indicating that you’ve joined. If this community is moderated, it may indicate that your membership is pending. Once the moderators have approved your membership, you’ll receive an email confirming that you have joined the community.
Joining with a Community Code
If you’ve been given a community code, you can join a community directly from the StoryCorps App. The community code works like a coupon code: you can enter it when you create your account through the app, or afterward, to instantly join the community.
Using a community code when you create an account
It only takes one extra second! Create an account in the StoryCorps App like you normally would. But, before you hit the final “Create Account” button, enter the community code in the indicated field.
That’s it! You’ve created your account and joined a community at the same time. You’ll have the option to view your community’s interviews when browsing, you’ll see any custom question lists the community created when you prepare your interviews, and you can submit interviews to a community.
If you already have an account
You can enter a community code through the app any time, allowing you to instantly join a community after you’ve created your account as well.
Open the StoryCorps App and click the menu icon. Then, click your name at the bottom
On the following screen, click “Apply a Community Code.” On the “Join a Community” screen, all you need to do is enter the community code and click “Apply.”
A white box should appear indicating that you’ve successfully joined the community.
That’s it! Now that you’ve joined a community, you’ll have the option to view your community’s interviews when browsing, you’ll see any custom question lists the community created when you prepare your interviews, and you can submit interviews to the community.