To start a new community on archive.storycorps.org, you will need to sign up for a new account by following the instructions here. If you already have an account on the StoryCorps App, the same credentials work for archive.storycorps.org.
To create a new community, follow these steps:
- Log into your account at archive.storycorps.org from a desktop or laptop computer. The account you are logged in with will become the “owner” of the community.
- Click on your profile photo in the upper right corner of the screen.
- A drop down menu will appear, on this menu select “Create a Community”.
- This will take you to a form; fill out all the required information including a title, description, image, etc.
- You’ll also be asked to select preferences for moderation and given the option to opt in to advanced features (more information on advanced features coming soon!).
- Once you are done, click “Create Community” on the left.
- You’re done! You can start using your community and encouraging others to add their interviews.
Need more help? Try this step-by-step walkthrough (we recommend making it full-screen with the icon on the top-right):
1 The first step is to log in to archive.storycorps.org and click your profile image
2 Click Create a community
3 Click title
4 Type the name you'd like to give your community
5 Click tagline
6 Type a short tagline to help people understand your community
7 Now you need to select an image.
Scroll down and click Select an image
You will then upload an image from your computer
8 Scroll down and click description
9 Type a longer description of your community. This field is optional, but a great opportunity to go in-depth when describing your community and project.
10 Click description
11 Scroll down to Select A Group Category and click the drop-down menu
12 click the option that best describes your group
13 Click Facebook URL
14 Type the URL of your group/organization's Facebook page.
This is optional, but you can provide links to your facebook, twitter, instagram, or other website to help others learn more about your group/organization.
15 Scroll down and select whether you'd like your community to have Unmoderated membership or Moderated membership
Moderating membership means that any new members must be approved before joining the community and submitting interviews.
16 Scroll down and select whether you'd like your community to have Unmoderated interviews or Moderated interviews
Moderating interviews means that any interviews submitted to your community must be approved before they are added to the community.
17 Advanced features are also an option, but for this example, we won't opt to add advanced features.
Scroll down and click Create Community
18 You did it! Your community is created.
To view the community Click Visit
19 Once members join your community and submit interviews they'll appear here.
Now it's time to tell others about your community so they can join and submit their interviews!