Anyone with an archive.storycorps.org account can create a new community and invite other archive users to join their community. If you don’t have an archive.storycorps.org account, you’ll find instructions on how to create one in the Help Center articles below.
If you’ve already created an account with the StoryCorps App, you can login to your account on archive.storycorps.org with the same credentials you use to login to the app. Once you've create a community, you can begin invite other people to join.
Creating a new community on archive.storycorps.org
To create a new community on archive.storycorps.org:
- Log into your account on archive.storycorps.org from a desktop or laptop computer. The account you are logged into will become the owner of the community.
- Click on your profile photo in the upper right corner of the screen and select Create A Community from the drop down menu.
- This will take you to the community creation page where you will be prompted to fill in the following fields:
- Give your community a title
- Give your community a 3-4 word tagline
- Upload a photo or image for your community
- Add a longer description to your community (optional)
- Select a group category
- Link to your website or social media (optional)
- Next, you’ll be able to choose your community’s moderation options
- You can leave your community unmoderated or choose to moderate the members and/or the interviews. You can find more information about moderated communities in the Help Center article below.
- You’ll also be given the option to add advanced features to your community. You can find more information about advanced features for communities in the Help Center article below.
- Once you have filled in all the required fields, select Create Community in the sidebar on the left side of the screen.
- You’re done! You can now invite others to join your community and add their interviews as well as add your own interviews to the community page.
Need more help? Try the step-by-step guide below:
Here's an interactive tutorial for the visual learners
Inviting people to join a new community on archive.storycorps.org
Now that you’ve created a new community, you’ll want to invite members to join! While anyone who finds your community page on archive.storycorps.org can request to become a member of your community by pressing the Join button on the community page, you can also invite others to join a community on archive.storycorps.org in a few different ways.
- Sending invitations by sharing a community URL
- Sending invitations for existing interviews on archive.storycorps.org
- Inviting users to join a community with a Community Code (advanced feature)
Sending invitations by sharing a community URL
You can invite people to join your community by sharing the URL of your community page with them directly. You can access a community URL in your browser’s address bar when viewing your community page.
You can share a community URL via email or using your preferred messaging app.
- Pro Tip: If you are inviting individuals who do not already have accounts on archive.storycorps.org, you can add “/register” to the end of your community’s web address to take them to a page where they can create an archive.storycorps.org account and join your community at the same time!
Sending invitations for existing interviews on archive.storycorps.org
Community owners sometimes come across interviews in the Online Archive that would be a great fit in their community. While archive.storycorps.org does not give you the ability to message other users directly, you can send an invitation directly to an interview owner to join your community and submit their interview. To invite the owner of a specific interview to your community:
- Login to the archive.storycorps.org account that owns the community you want to add an interview to.
- Navigate to the interview page that you’d like to invite to your community.
- On the right-hand-side of the interview page (below the interview photo and to the right of the description), select Invite to Community.
- When you click this button, it will display all the communities you own. Select the community you would like to invite them to.
- This will send an email to the user who owns the interview. If they accept your invitation, that user will become a member of your community and their interview will appear on your community’s page.
Inviting users to join a community with a Community Code (advanced feature)
If you have added advanced features to your community, you can also invite users to join your community using a community code. The community code feature allows users to join a community directly from the StoryCorps App without logging into their account on archive.storycorps.org.
Once you have set up your community code, you can simply share it with anyone you’d like to invite to your community. Folks can use this unique code to join your community when they are setting up their account in the StoryCorps App. If they already have an account on archive.storycorps.org, they can also use the community code in the StoryCorps App to join later! You’ll find step by step instructions on how to join a community using a community code in the Help Center article below.