If you and your students encounter technical difficulties, we’re here to help. The answer to most issues can be found in our Help Center, and our Public Support team can provide one on one support over email if you submit a request.
Before your students begin recording, we recommend reading Before You Record: Tips for a trouble-free recording experience.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties: do not uninstall or log out of the app. On most devices, uninstalling or logging out of an app clears your account data and files. This means that uninstalling or logging out of the StoryCorps App will delete any unpublished interviews stored on your device.
For Accounts created between 11/7-11/15 - Please read this article about a bug that may have impacted your account
Some of the most common issues, and how to troubleshoot:
- Log In Problems: The same log in information works for both the StoryCorps App and archive.storycorps.org. If you experience difficulty you can reset your password here.
- Interview Disappears From Device: If a successfully recorded interview no longer appears in the app, don’t worry! Even if the interview has not yet been published to the archive it can typically be retrieved. Review the instructions in this article.
- Upload Issues: Audio files recorded by the StoryCorps app, particularly for longer interviews, can be quite large. If you experience difficulty uploading an interview to our online archive follow these troubleshooting steps. (If your account was created between 11/7 and 11/15, please see this article about a bug that may be the source of your upload issues)
- Syncing: It is normal for interviews to be marked as “syncing” immediately after they are published to the archive. While this is typically brief, in high traffic times (like The Great Thanksgiving Listen) it can take up to 48 hours for the “syncing” status to go away.
- If your interview is marked as syncing for longer than usual (or you can’t wait), we recommend attempting to publish again or using the alternative upload method in this article.
- Playback Issues: Sometimes there is a delay of up to an hour between upload and when audio can be played from the app or from the StoryCorps Archive website. If you experience a longer delay, this article can provide troubleshooting assistance.
- Pausing: Please note that the pause button is intended to pause recording briefly. It is not intended for interviews to be paused for hours or paused while the app is closed and reopened. Leaving the app while recording can result in loss of audio.
- Communities: If you are using the community feature and are having difficulties please check out the Communities section of the Help Center
If you or your students are still having trouble with the StoryCorps App, please submit a request and include as much detail as you can so we can recreate the issue.
You can also visit the Technical Support for the StoryCorps App section of the Help Center for additional how-to's and troubleshooting tips.