If you and your students encounter technical difficulties, we’re here to help. The answer to most issues can be found in our Help Center, and our Public Support team can provide one on one support over email if you submit a request.
Before your students begin recording, we recommend reading Before You Record: Tips for a trouble-free recording experience.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties: do not uninstall the app. On most devices, uninstalling an app removes all associated files. This means that uninstalling the StoryCorps App will delete any interviews stored on your device.
Here are some of the most common issues, and how to troubleshoot:
- Log In Problems: The same log in information works for both the StoryCorps App and archive.storycorps.org. If you experience difficulty you can reset your password here.
- Interview Disappears From Device: If a successfully recorded interview no longer appears in the app, don’t worry! Even if the interview has not yet been published to the archive it can typically be retrieved. Review the instructions in this article.
- Upload Issues: Audio files recorded by the StoryCorps app, particularly for longer interviews, can be quite large. If you experience difficulty uploading an interview to our online archive follow these troubleshooting steps.
- Pending: It is normal for interviews to be marked as “pending” immediately after they are published to the archive. While this is typically brief, in high traffic times (like The Great Thanksgiving Listen) it can take up to 48 hours for the “pending” status to go away.
If your interview is marked as pending for longer than usual (or you can’t wait), we recommend attempting to publish again or using the alternative upload method in this article.
(Please note: If you are using the community feature, you may also see “pending” on interviews in your community that are awaiting approval.)
- Pausing: Please note that the pause button is intended to pause recording briefly. It is not intended for interviews to be paused for hours or paused while the app is closed and reopened. Leaving the app while recording can result in loss of audio.
If you or your students are still having trouble with the StoryCorps App, please submit a request and include as much detail as you can so we can recreate the issue.
You can also visit the Technical Support for the StoryCorps App section of the Help Center for additional how-to's and troubleshooting tips.