StoryCorps Connect is a new technology developed quickly in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The technology is still in development, and we appreciate your patience with any issues you may experience.
StoryCorps Connect relies on the internet connection, web browser, microphone, and webcam of your device (and the device being used by your interview partner). Because of this, technical difficulties can arise from a multitude of factors and are often related to the hardware or settings of your device.
Many issues can be addressed with the same simple solutions:
- Restart your computer or device
- Verify that your internet connection is strong, and close any programs or applications running in the background to ensure that nothing else on your device is using any of your available internet bandwidth. If there are other devices utilizing the same Wi-Fi network as you, it may be helpful to disconnect these from the internet until you have completed your StoryCorps Connect interview.
- If you are comfortable accessing your modem and wireless router, it might be helpful to restart them by turning them off for 25 seconds and turning them back on again.
- Try a different web browser. You can find a list of browsers compatible with StoryCorps Connect here (we strongly recommend Google Chrome or Firefox.)
Interview Partner Does Not Receive the Email Invite
If your interview partner did not receive the email invitation you sent, the problem can be easily solved.
- Confirm you sent the email to the correct email address.
- Ask your interview partner to check their spam folder.
- If the automated email still does not make it through, that’s ok! You can copy and paste the link and send it yourself.
- You can learn more about sending an invitation to your interview partner in this article.
Poor Sound (or Video) Quality
If you encounter choppy, poor-quality audio during your interview, we suggest both you and your interview partner take the following steps:
- For sound issues, we recommend using headphones. This can help avoid any humming, interference, or feedback.
- You and your interview partner can test your microphone and camera by using another piece of software on your device that records sound and video. Record a test and see if the problem persists using other software. If so, it could be a hardware issue.
- We also suggest checking out our At Home Recording Recommendations for steps you can take before recording to help ensure optimal sound quality.