If either interview partner is unable to see or hear the other person, it is usually because the person’s web browser’s settings are not giving StoryCorps Connect the correct permission to access the microphone or camera. Below are a few steps you and your interview partner can take to troubleshoot these issues.
(Pro Tip: Restarting your device and re-entering the interview can occasionally correct microphone and camera issues in some devices.)
- When you enter the StoryCorps Connect interview, a pop-up should appear asking for access to microphone and camera. Both you and your interview partner need to select yes on that in order for Connect to work properly.
- If you or your partner didn’t see the pop-up or accidentally said no, this permission can be manually given in the browser settings. This will vary depending on the browser, but you’ll find links to instructions for multiple browsers in this help center article.
- If permission was given but you and your partner still cannot see each other, we recommend returning to the microphone and video access in your browser settings (using the instructions linked to above). You'll want to confirm that the browser is giving permission to the correct microphone and camera. If unsure, you may want to try switching to other microphone and camera options and testing.
- You and your interview partner can also test your microphone and camera by using another piece of software on your device that records sound and video. Record a test and see if the problem persists using other software. If so, it could be a hardware issue.
If the problem persists, reset your browsers permissions and re-enter the interview
(Please note, the following instructions are for resetting browser permissions for Google Chrome)
- Open the browser Settings in Chrome by selecting the three dots in the upper right corner of the browser.
- Open the Privacy and Security settings and select .
- Select archive.storycorps.org in your recent activity
- Select “Clear Data”
- Select “Reset Permissions”
- Return to your StoryCorps Connect interview, there should now be a bar across the screen prompting you to refresh your browser to apply these changes. Click Refresh.
- When you refresh the page, a pop-up should appear asking for access to your Microphone and Camera, click “Allow”. Your microphone and camera should work correctly going forward.
Need more help?
1. If other attempts to troubleshoot your audio and video problems have not worked, it may help to reset your mic and camera permissions for StoryCorps Connect.
First click the icon with three dots.
2. Click Settings.
3. Click Privacy and Security.
4. Click Site Settings.
5. You should see archive.storycorps.org in your recent activity. Click archive.storycorps.org.
6. Click Reset permissions.
7. Click Reset.
8. Click the back arrow to return to Site Settings.
9. Scroll down to Permissions and click Camera.
10. It will either say "Blocked" or "ask before accessing." If it says "Blocked", click the toggle. If it says "ask before accessing", skip to the next step.
11. It now says "Ask before accessing".
12. Click the arrow to go back to site settings.
13. Click Microphone.
14. Just like we did for Camera, if it says "Blocked", click the toggle to switch to "Ask before accessing". If it already says "Ask before accessing", skip to the next step.
15. Click the arrow to go back to site settings.
16. Return to StoryCorps Connect.
17. A bar should appear across the top instructing you to reload the page to apply the new settings.
18. Once you rejoin the interview, the pop-up should appear asking for access to your microphone and camera.
19. That's it. You're done. Your audio and video should function properly.
Here's an interactive tutorial