A major update is coming to the StoryCorps App on July 11! Because we have completely rebuilt the StoryCorps App from scratch, it is important that all app users confirm their interviews have been successfully published to archive.storycorps.org before updating to the new version. Because many devices will update the app automatically, we strongly recommend you take the steps below before July 11.
Does this issue impact my interview?
Only interviews recorded using the StoryCorps App that have not already been successfully uploaded to the Online Archive are impacted:
To confirm that your StoryCorps App interviews are preserved:
Check Your Interviews in the App
- Login to the StoryCorps App on your mobile device
- Scroll through your interviews, and check to see if any say “Saved to device only” under the title (see the screenshot below)
- Publish any interviews that have been “Saved to device only” to archive.storycorps.org (If you prefer not to upload them to the archive, create a backup by exporting them from your device to a desktop or laptop computer.)
Confirm they were successfully processed in the Online Archive
- Login to archive.storycorps.org using the same information you use to login to the app.
- Select My Interviews and Profile from the drop down menu in the upper right hand corner of the screen to see all of your published interviews.
- Confirm that all of the interviews you’ve recorded and published using the app appear on your profile page and that you can listen to all of these interviews.
Still have questions? You can find more in depth information about the different ways you can publish and preserve your interview audio below or reach out to our support team at email@example.com.
How do I publish interviews saved in the app that have never been published on my archive.storycorps.org profile?
If you have unpublished interviews in the StoryCorps App, you can publish your interview audio directly from the App to archive.storycorps.org. Simply find your interview in the My Interviews section of the App and select the gray “Publish” button at the bottom of the interview. Once your interview has been successfully uploaded to archive.storycorps.org, you should be able to access it on both platforms before and after the app update.
What if my upload fails or my interview is not playable on archive.storycorps.org?
If you continue to experience issues publishing your interviews or you can’t listen to your interview audio in the StoryCorps App or archive.storycorps.org, you need to export your interview audio to a desktop or laptop computer and then manually publish the audio to archive.storycorps.org. You can export your interview audio files from your device to a desktop or laptop computer by following the instructions here.
After you've retrieved your audio files, you can manually upload them to archive.storycorps.org by logging into your account from a computer, clicking your username in the upper right hand corner, selecting "Add a New Interview" from the dropdown menu, and following the prompts. If you need some additional guidance on uploading and publishing your interview audio, you can find step-by-step instructions here.
What if I don’t want to publish my interviews on archive.storycorps.org?
If you have recorded interviews on the StoryCorps App, but do not want to publish them to the Online Archive, you need to export your interview audio from your device to a desktop or laptop computer in order to preserve your interview(s). You can export your interview audio files from your device to a desktop or laptop computer by following the instructions here.
It is important to understand that if your interviews are not published, StoryCorps does not have a copy of your interview audio and cannot retrieve your recording.